Originally posted on 11-30-09
I have a friend who is starting her new business with a small budget for advertising. The business plan is a referral based business structure for increasing business. She came to me to help her prioritize the marketing needs to maximize the budget. Here is a priority list that should be an essential part of any business with or without a large marketing budget. Looking professional also helps you feel more confident which translates to the consumer.
- Look professional in all areas of your business.
- Plan the dress code or incorporate corporate attire.
- Design and update your business exterior and interior, especially the reception area.
- Get a professionally designed logo and brand materials, letterhead, brochure, web site etc.
- Have that same look carry over to all your social media site layouts.
- Spread the word about your new business through your own rolodex with a professional looking e-blast or e-newsletter. Let friends and family help spread the word about your business but elevate to that professional level with a well designed piece.
- Make sure to use signage to let people know you are open.
- Give a referral incentive or offer just until you are 70% booked.
Even if your business relies heavily on referral business you might miss an opportunity if the first impression is not professional, clean and sharp.